Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring is blooming ...

... and in many ways.  Two families that I was researching opened up to a beautiful array of very distant relatives.  It is awesome that the records still resided with the families and, with the help of modern technology, I found two dedicated women willing to help me connect the dots, so to speak.  It is here that I would like to publicly thank Vanessa and Norma for their timeless dedication to uncovering our heritage.

With summer next on the horizon, families gather at their family reunions.  I have a deep concern for the new generations and how to teach them about their heritage.  If I have any readers who have conquered this issue, I would love to learn what you tried and that worked.  Two of my husbands' families play cards, horseshoes, games of all kinds.  There is a small business meeting after the last meal of the day, and by that time everyone is tired and ready to leave.

My family, on the other hand, no longer gathers for family reunions.  I lost contact with even my first cousins, and, sadly, we all live within a 10-mile radius of each other.  

So, I ask my few followers and new readers, what do you do to generate an interest with family to learn about their heritage?  (Especially when I married into the two families.)

Now, get out and enjoy this balmy spring day and pick some daffodils. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary,

    I have chosen your blog for the “One Lovely Blog” award! Please visit my blog to pick it up and pass it on :) http://geneapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Keep up the great work!

    -Sarah Boehm

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts here.